Auto Insurance Agency covering Portland & Vancouver


Having the right auto insurance policy for your specific needs will get you back on the road as quickly as possible in the event of an accident, fire, theft, or other covered events.

Some policies may include additional coverage for medical costs, legal expenses, and property damage resulting from an accident in which your covered vehicle is involved.

Dick Hannah Insurance Agency represents top insurance carriers in Washington and Oregon. Our relationships enable us to match your needs with the best provider. We are thoroughly versed in the legal insurance requirements in both states to ensure you always have adequate coverage.

Insurance Limits and Requirements

We mostly serve folks from Washington and Oregon with Auto Insurance. If you are looking for insurance in another state please give us a call so that we can assist you in finding the correct coverage for your state.

The minimums of insurance you must carry varies by state. When you register your vehicle you will need to provide proof of insurance or, in Washington, you can provide a liability bond or certificate of deposit.

    Washington State Insurance Minimums

  • $25,000 of bodily injury or death of 1 person in any 1 accident
  • $50,000 of bodily injury or death of any 2 people in any 1 accident
  • $10,000 of injury to or destruction of property of others in any 1 accident
    Oregon State Insurance Minimums
  • Bodily injury and Property Damage Liability
    • $25,000 per person
    • $50,000 per crash for bodily injury to others
    • $20,000 per crash for damage to others’ property
  • Personal Injury Protection
    • $15,000 Per Person
    Uninsured Motorist
    • $25,000 per person
    • $50,000 per crash for bodily injury

Types of Car Coverage

We have many different options with partnerships across many different insurance companies and we will negotiate on your behalf to get the best insurance possible. When looking at insurance you are likely to see different terms for different types of coverage.

  • Liability Coverage - This is the coverage the helps you if you get in an accident and do damage to someone else or someone else’s property
  • No-fault Coverage - This coverage pays you if you or your passengers are injured or if there is damage to your vehicle regardless of if the other driver has insurance or not.

Types of Car Insurance

  • Collision Insurance - Pays for the repair of damage caused to your vehicle in an accident. Insurance will pay up to the fair market value of your vehicle, less the deductible paid by you. The higher the deductible, the lower the cost. Collision insurance is not required by the state. But it may be required by your lender if your vehicle is financed
  • Comprehensive Insurance - Covers damage to your vehicle not caused by a collision. This may include if your car is stolen, vandalized, damaged by fire, flood, or weather events. Windshield coverage is often available. Comprehensive insurance is not required by the state. But it may be required by your lender if your vehicle is financed.

What is Full Coverage Insurance?

If you have recently financed or leased a new car your lender or the dealership will want to make sure that you have full coverage. Full coverage is insurance that covers all the state minimums as well as comprehensive and collision coverage.

Do I need Liability or Full Coverage Insurance?

If you are leasing or financing a new or used vehicle most, if not all, lenders will require you to have full coverage. If you own your vehicle outright you can make which choice is right for you and your budget. Liability coverage will only cover the damages and injury to someone else or their vehicle.

Additional Coverages

There are plenty of additional coverages that can be added to your vehicle or your entire insurance plan altogether. We recommend considering rental insurance so that you aren’t out of a vehicle if yours needs to spend some time in the shop.

Additional coverages like roadside assistance, Personal Injury Protection, and Uninsured Motorist coverage are additional coverages that can help with that peace of mind feeling that we all desire.

However, it is important to consider that each additional coverage you get on your insurance will up your monthly/yearly costs.

What Kind of Coverage Should I Get?

That depends on a lot of factors. First, do you own your car outright or are you making payments? If you are making payments you are locked into getting full overage, and you may want to consider getting GAP insurance if the car is brand new. For an older vehicle that you own outright, you can get away with your state minimums.

For some guidance on your exact situation and for a free car insurance quote please reach out to our amazing staff who can help you find the right coverage with the best car insurance company for you.

Talk with an expert.

At Dick Hannah, family, integrity, respect, and purpose matter.

We care about community, we care about people, we care about you – and it shows. We’re a trusted insurance agency proudly serving our friends and neighbors just like you. Whether you are looking for the best auto insurance, great renters insurance, or even if you’d like to insure your boat, motorcycle, or RV we got you covered. Make sure to check out our full selection of ways we can cover you! We are renowned in the community for our charitable donations, our 5-time award-winning workplace, and trusted by folks all across the Portland, OR, and Vancouver, WA area.

Dick Hannah has been proudly serving you in Portland, OR, and Vancouver, WA for 70 years, and we’ll continue to do so for the next 70. If you have questions about any of our insurance offerings, we’d love to chat with you.